What is Low Testosterone?
Testosterone is the hormone that is responsible for sexual activity, muscle and hair growth, and red blood cell count in men. During puberty, testosterone helps young men grow and build muscles, grows facial, chest, and pubic hair, deepens and lowers their voices, and increases their penis and testes sizes. Throughout adulthood, testosterone keeps men’s muscles and bones strong, regulates red blood cell count, and maintains men’s sex drives.
After the age of 30, most men experience a gradual decline in testosterone at a rate of about 1% a year. While that decline is normal, having a shortage of testosterone, which is also known as low testosterone or low T, is not. Low T is estimated to affect nearly 40% of men age 45 and over. In Orange County, California, an estimated 305,000 men may have low T!
Symptoms of Low Testosterone
Low testosterone symptoms generally depend on your age. Symptoms of low T may include:
- Low or decreased sex drive
- Difficulty maintaining an erection
- Erectile dysfunction (also known as ED)
- Low semen production
- Low sperm count
- A decrease in testicle size
- Lower red blood cell count
- Changes in concentration and memory
- Loss of strength
- Loss of muscle mass
- Mild anemia
- An increase in body fat
- Balding or thinning hair
- A decrease in body hair
Potential Causes of Low Testosterone
There are many possible causes of low T, including the following:
- Chemotherapy from cancer treatment
- Exposure to radiation
- Alcohol abuse
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Former steroid use
- Drug abuse
- Opioid use and/or abuse
- Head injury
- Injury of the testes
- Infection of the testes
- Certain developmental disorders
- Certain genetic conditions
- Certain metabolic disorders
- Inflammatory conditions
- Thyroid cancer
- Kidney failure
- Pituitary gland conditions and disorders
- Hot flashes
- Increased breast size
- Uncontrolled type 2 diabetes
- Sleep apnea
- Delayed puberty / being a “late bloomer”
- Chronic illnesses
Low T Treatment Options in Orange County
If you’re struggling with low T, thankfully there are many treatment options for you. Some of the best ways to increase testosterone include:
There are multiple methods of TRT treatments. These are the options available in Orange County:
- Injections: TRT injections are intramuscular, which means they’re injected into a muscle. Injections must be done every couple of weeks.
- Patches: Testosterone patches are applied to different parts of the body. They must be used every day.
- Gels: Testosterone gels are applied to clean, dry skin every day. Care must be taken so the gel is not spread to your partner or another person.
- Pellets: Pellets are implanted beneath the skin every couple of months. They slowly release testosterone throughout the body.
Erectile dysfunction medications often include testosterone-boosting effects. In Orange County, these medications typically require a prescription.
Change in diet
Certain foods’ nutrients can help improve your testosterone levels, such as eggs, milk, beans, beets, fortified cereals, and more. Eating healthier and staying active are two very simple, natural treatment options.
Exercise and activity
Losing weight and simply staying active can increase your testosterone levels. In general, staying active is a great way to stay healthy overall in every aspect of your life.
Schedule an Appointment at Performance Boost Center in Orange County
The best way to increase your low testosterone levels is to reach out to a doctor for advice and proper treatment information. For more information about your low testosterone and the best treatment options for you, schedule an appointment with our experienced physicians at Performance Boost Center in Orange County, California.